Sunday, March 21, 2010

Our First "Service": Desire

Desire is a word that has so many meanings. Just say that word in different crowds and you will get so many responses. The song by the Rolling Stones that says, "You can't always get what you want...but if you try sometimes you get what you need," really got me thinking about "DESIRE."

Psalm 37:4 (New Living Translation)
Take delight in the Lord and He will give you your heart's desires.

I have heard so many preachers talk about God giving you the desires of your heart, but never what those desires might be. It seems to be such a complicated matter, but what if it's not? I know some people who want things, but what do they really desire?

As a kid I wanted things all the time,new toys, gadgets, candy, books, did I mention candy? The point is that was my world, my life that revolved around me. As I got older what I truly desired changed. Don't get me wrong I still want toys and gadgets and yes candy, but I better understand what I desire.

I desire for my life to have peace. I desire for my children to be healthy and grow into wonderful men and women. I desire love to grow in my marriage greater than it ever has. I desire to help others to know God and His love in ways that will make a eternal difference.

I may not always get what I want, but I have found that God gives me what I need. What do you desire? Make a list of those things that your heart truly wants, and in that list you will find the keys to opening up happiness in your life. Be mindful that the list is ever changing, and somethings are out of our control. At best we can hope to see the things that are at the top of our list fulfilled, but somethings may have to be removed from our list or our lives.

I hope that you have gained something from this week's message. Comment and let me know. Email any private thoughts or prayer requests.

Much Love and Do Good
Jonathan

No comments:

Post a Comment